"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Milestones on the Wall

Even checking one small thing off a mammoth to-do list feels good sometimes. I felt that small sense of accomplishment today when I completed one of our "milestone" shadowboxes. I haven't the faintest idea where I found the inspiration for these, but I am completely taken with the idea of creating a shadowbox or framing something that represents the milestones in your life as a couple.

I made my first one before I even came across the idea. I made a shadowbox after our wedding that included the postcards of Savannah (the city we were engaged in) that were laying on tables at our reception, the card from which we read our vows and our cake topper.

After I read about making milestone markers and hanging them in a special place in your home to remind you of a history you've created together, I knew the next one would be for Eden's birth. After we brought her home from the hospital, I went out and bought the frame and took her tiny hospital issue t-shirt and tried to velcro it in there. I was never happy with it and it's never made it up to the wall.


Today, I finally finished it properly with several strategically placed straight pins. I added a couple of things so the shirt wasn't so lonely and I'm so pleased it's done. I can't wait to get Arielle's completed as well!
Sorry this pic is awful.  I took it with my iPhone...

Along with Arielle's, I'm also planning on doing one to mark our recent beach trip, our first as a family of four and one that taught us quite a bit about how different vacations are when it's not just the two of you any more.
S

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I can see these all lined up in a hallway, mixed in with family pictures. You're brilliant. Wish I wasn't 21 years into my married life, or I'd start this idea for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. featured this today at "AP Tuesdays" thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete