"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Birdie Sling

Amy Butler sure knows how to make a bag.
The question was, did I?
I've had the Amy Butler Birdie Sling Bag pattern for over a year. I cut out all the paper pattern pieces. I cut out the main panel pieces. I looked online at other peoples bags, read some tutorials and sew-alongs... and then neatly folded everything and put it all in a bag in my closet with all my fabric.
Recently, I acquired some more of the Optic Blossom fabric by (who else?) Amy Butler that I had begun to cut out for the bag pieces so long ago. The bag came to my mind again.
Then, yesterday, I suddenly got up the gumption to take out that bag of neatly folded paper and fabric and DO IT!

Here is my first accomplishment along the way. I was pretty proud of this perfect pocket and was really appreciating the crisp look, thanks to the interfacing.


I'm so glad I waited to try this bag. It's definitely not for a beginner.
Be prepared for a lot of prep time cutting out all the pieces plus interfacing and then ironing on the interfacing.
Then be prepared for a lot of pinning, a lot of curves and a lot of fabric manipulating and just hoping you don't end up with a fold or pucker you didn't intend.

I didn't take all the pictures I should have. In fact, the next picture I took was right before the very last step. This was a scary moment because I felt like I was sewing blind. The widths of the top bands were not the same and I was trying to line up all the seams and still make sure I caught the strap in between them when I sewed them together. I was very nervous that I was going to have to rip out the stitches all around the top and line it all up again.


And.... drum roll!.... Here she is!







I can hardly believe the inside has these beautiful big pockets, even though that was the easiest part. Just looks so cool when they are really in there.


I actually did it! If I ever recover from all the stress of this one and decided to try it again, I would use lighter weight interfacing or maybe fleece to make it softer. It's very stiff and I'm afraid it will be uncomfortable to carry.

It also needs a closure of some kind.  I'm asking for Amy's new book with 26 bag variations for Christmas.  I think there might be a few good ideas in there for a way to add a button or something.

I definitely gained confidence from finally  finishing this and I'm ready to try whatever pattern strikes my fancy next....
Which will probably be the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress pattern coming in the mail tomorrow!
S

No comments:

Post a Comment