"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Saturday, July 30, 2011

McCall's 6078

In my McCall's order with sewingpatterns.com, I couldn't resist adding  number 6078 simply because of the back of View A.  I already have a cowl neck tank patern, but I couldn't resist at $2.99... and I knew my hubby would like it.  

I was right.  I showed him the pattern and he said something I won't repeat here, but, suffice it to say, he wanted to see that top on me.

Behold.


I made this up in a slightly stretchy olive green polyester rayon something or other that I found on the remnant table.  This shirt cost me about $10 including the pattern and thread.


It was only a few hours of work.  Nothing really difficult, just a lot of tedious pleating, but the pleating looks very sophisticated, so it was worth it.


The design of the shirt is great because, even with the exposed back, it allows for a bra.  I wore this out on a date the night I made it and was so glad that I could wear a regular bra.  I do have to mention that this shirt just rests on the shoulders.  There is nothing holding it up, so I was pretty nervous all evening.  A couple of safety pins on the bra straps would've been a good idea...


I left the sleeves unfinished.  I've seen plenty of rtw clothing with an unfinished edge like this, so I have no shame.


If I made this again, I would use it as the bodice of a dress and connect it to the skirt of another pattern.  That could be a really va va voom dress.



The only difficulty in this pattern is the pleating.  Three pattern pieces, no closures and easy-to-follow instructions make this a definite thumbs up from me.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks fabulous, and I bet that it's great for a lot of different body types!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Gorgeous! And I love that back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. What a showstopper. :}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog through the SSS flickr group, and I just wanted to say that this top looks amazing!
    I have this pattern in my stash, but have yet to stitch it up. Seeing your gorgeous version makes me want to pull it out immediately!

    Great job!

    And by the way, your piano looks fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this and the colour. It looks so expensive.

    ReplyDelete