"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Patterns Out My Ears - pt.1

Or at least, that's what I will have when they all arrive at my door. I have recently, if you didn't already know, begun a passionate love affair with the thought of sewing clothing for myself. Like so much else about sewing, I've had misconceptions for quite some time about doing this. There are reasons we pay other people to design and sew clothes for us, right?

 Here are some misconceptions I had: 1) Sewing ANY type of garment is terribly difficult. 1a) If it's not terribly difficult, then it's probably just a sack with some elastic. 2) All handmade clothing looks obviously handmade (in a bad way) and leaves much to be desired in the way of fashion. 3) Only people without enough money to spend on real clothes (and teenage girls in home ec.) try to sew their own. 3) It would be impossible for me to ever get a piece of clothing sewn by me to fit me right unless it was the aforementioned sack with elastic.

After successfully making two dresses for myself that are both flattering and fashionable (Thanks Kay Whitt and Sis Boom!) I am crossing my fingers and hoping that Leisl Gibson and her Lisette patterns for Simplicity will not only continue the trend but teach me more skills to continue to build my confidence in sewing for me, myself and I.

I have to be truthful here, it's taken a lot of Flickr looking and blog reading for these designs to grow on me. I'm kind-of ashamed to say it, but I just think they look too mature for my taste. I don't think of myself as a trendy dresser, but these pieces were almost too classic for me. Now that I've seen them in several different fabrics on several different body types and accessorized various modern ways, I'm convinced that I can make them fit my taste. And, let's be honest, even if I hated them, I really still should sew all of them just for the amazing instructions I know come with them. I learned the most to date about sewing children's clothing when I sewed my daughter the Ice Cream Dress because of Leisl's great instructions and design. I really can't go wrong.

Here's what I'm envisioning...





This is the Traveler Dress. I want to do view A in either a chambray (like the picture on the pattern envelope) or maybe a textured print like a woodgrain or crosshatch and accessorize with a wide belt and cute flats.
I want to do view C with contrasting top and bottom.  Something bold like kelly green on the top and navy and white chevron stripe on the skirt or muted grey polka-dots on the top and a solid mustard yellow on the skirt.  That's the kind of thing I would see in a catalog and think "ooooo, I want that"  I would accessorize with a thin belt and wedges or peep toe heels.

Part 2 tomorrow. :)

S

No comments:

Post a Comment