"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Friday, October 26, 2012

More Sewing, of Various Kinds

I have been sewing and sewing, both for my girls and for a friend of mine who also has two girls.  She has ordered quite a few things from me and I'm trying to fill those orders so she can get these fun clothes on her girls soon.
Here's a couple of things I sewed for my own two girls.
This is Farbenmix Amelie in a knit from Banberry Place.
I don't know how many hooded knit tunics are ok to have in a girl's closet, but this is just about the cutest and easiest pattern I've made lately.

I made this one for my daughter as kind-of a muslin or test run before I made it for my friend's daughter.  I'll be making her one in this stripe... and another for my other daughter as well, because I love this stripe!

 Here's another trial run for a tunic my friend ordered.  This top is from McCalls 6497.  I have now made both the ruffle pants and the top.  The pants are pretty true to size I'd say, but the top definitely runs generous.
You may notice some more of my Riley Blake crochet trim from Fabric.com here.  I am loving having this at my disposal.  I'm using it up more quickly than I would like, but it's about time I started using some embellishments!  I used a little flowered ribbon for trim at the bottom of the skirt too.

And now for my sewing masterpiece.  My girls got to pick their Fall Festival costume this year (because we don't like the scary stuff of Halloween, we just do a church thing with games and puppet shows and such). Eden said she wanted to be Alice in Wonderland, but then decided she would rather wear the sailor girl costume already in her closet (a cheap thing I got for 70% off at Target last year in the after-Halloween sales).
I wanted to sew something for somebody.  Since Arielle kinda got the short end of the stick last year as a pirate, I wanted to make something special for her.  Last year, all I did was a simple elastic-waist skirt in black and white striped fabric and threw that on her with a white button down and tied some red knit around her head.  This year, I have convinced her, not that she needed much convincing, to be Mini Martha Washington.


We chose McCalls 6139.  The smallest size was a 3-4, which I was very certain would be too big.  I used the lengthen/shorten lines in all the pattern pieces and made all the bodice pieces shorter by 2-3" and the skirt, after shortening the pattern and lopping it off before hemming was shorter by a good 8-9".
I also shortened the sleeves by 2". 
I took in the front bodice seams by about 1" each after sewing it up and trying it on her, then I also cut off about 2" on either side in the back where the zipper opening is.  I wanted a nice snug fit because I didn't use the interfacing in the bodice the pattern calls for and I new it would look saggy and cheap if it was ill-fitted.

We went to Hancock Fabrics and chose this baby blue fabric with cranberry colored roses on it.  
Blue is her favorite color. 
I let her choose between champagne and cranberry ribbon.  I think she made a good choice.

This dress called for a whopping 4 yards of fabric.  I probably could have gotten away with three had I known how much shorter to make the skirt.  It was, in fact, the skirt that demanded the yardage.  There are 5 skirt pieces!
Certainly makes for a lovely effect, but my goodness, I'm glad clothing typically doesn't call for that much yardage these days!

1 comment: