"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Thursday, January 20, 2011

MollyBlossom: For REAL!

Here is my first bag designed and sewn totally by ME! I failed miserably a long time ago at the Buttercup bag and since then, have successfully sewn the Birdie Sling, the Cosmo and the Bias Tape bag, but no other bags and I've never tried designing a pattern.  There's obvious inspiration from Amy Butler and other sources, but, hey, you gotta start somewhere.
My brand name is MollyBlossom and you can read my first post about it here. It was originally intended for clothing, but you never know when doors will open.

A shop owner in the area said she loved the Cosmo I made and wanted to sell them. I wasn't totally comfortable selling the Cosmo since Amy Butler requests you not use her patterns for commercial use. I wrestled with that moral issue for a bit and then decided, with some encouragement from friends, to just try and see if I could make a similar bag, but different enough to call my own (and with not as many freakin' pattern pieces to cut out!!!)

So I introduce to you my Molly Bag.  Half as many pattern pieces and just as much style... hopefully.  See what you think.

She can stand up on her own.


There's plenty of room inside and a few pockets too.




















It's Cosmo-ish (Style Stitches) in shape with gussets and pockets from the Birdie Sling, a ruffle reminiscent of the Maven (Style Stitches) and handles I saw when browsing the web.



I just hope the store owner that I want to sell them to likes her as much as I do.

I linked up at:


and


Sew Crafty Saturdays (I cannot for the life of me get the button code to work...)

and


Photobucket



S

9 comments:

  1. That is one pretty bag! You did an awesome job designing it! And I love the fabric choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the bag!
    xoxo,
    Amy
    www.amerooniedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me wish I could sew! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sara - you have done an amazing job - I would have never guessed this was your first bag. The fabrics are so pretty and great design too! Hope you have a wonderful weekend ~ Stephanie lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the store owner doesn't like it, let me know. I'd be glad to take this pretty pretty off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! you did I fabulous job! The ruffle is my favorite part. I would love for you to link up to my Sew Crafty Party & Giveaway.

    http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2011/01/agape-love-boutique-giveaway-sew-crafty.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for coming link up! Hope to see more from you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete