"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Departure to Disney











 I just returned from a three-day trip to Disney World y'all!

It was just me and my husband.  I know, I know, I know.  How mean of us to leave our two little girls with their grandparents while we went and acted like kids.
Here's my justification:  It was a trip that combined two anniversaries and this past Christmas (we didn't give each other presents) aaaaaaaand we already decided years ago that we wouldn't be taking our kids until the oldest was at least 7.


It was hard for me not to try to sew something for me to wear for each day we would be there.  Some sort of princess inspired shirt or SOMETHING, but, truth be told, I didn't really have any time.  I was busy sewing Departure Satchels (pattern by Studio Cherie) for me and my man to use as our carry-on luggage.
Here are the beginnings of his.  I used fabric from my stash for the interior and bought some fabric from the clearance table at Hancock Fabrics for the outside.
I had a few mishaps that were completely my fault and not the fault of the pattern.
As you can see from this picture, the width of the zippered top section matches up perfectly to the width of the bottom of the bag.

Here are all the outside parts ready to be assembled.  I totally bought the wrong kind of separating zipper.  Mine is for a jacket and separates from either side so the pulls meet in the middle.  What I needed was a zipper that begins closed with the pulls in the middle and opens as you pull them apart to both ends.  arg.


Here it is finished!

This was my first time trying By Annie's Soft and Stable interfacing.  I kept hearing about it, but there wasn't anything important enough for me to spend the $$ to buy a package of this fancy schmancy stuff.  After I decided to make the Departure Satchels, my local fabric shop had a 30% off everything sale and I remembered that they carried By Annie's.  I took the plunge and grabbed some on sale and boy am I glad I did.
It was just like everyone says.  And if you've never heard of it before, watch this video made by my friend Sara Lawson of Sew Sweetness.


This bag sitting on the dresser has nothing in it and look how nicely he stands all by himself.


The Departure Satchel pattern includes pockets on the outside and inside and even a flap covering a secret zip pocket.

















This first one I made for him turned out beautifully.  Mine, not so much.  
I screwed it up by quartering the zipper side pieces instead of just halving them.
I had to taper the ends of the bag base piece and it was all downhill from there.  I did not take any detailed pictures of my bag when it was finished because I'm not as proud of it as was the first bag.

Here it is with my clothes for the first day and my Magic Band (which I don't think we'll ever be able to go to Disney without now, totally spoiled.)

And, since I didn't have handmade clothing for every day, I needed some other dose of cuteness to make myself Disneyfied.  That came in the form of Jamberry nail sheilds in a Minnie Mouse-like pattern.
If you wanna know more, I can send you to my friend who is a consultant. 
Aren't they cute?


Thumbs up for the Departure Satchel pattern and Two BIG Thumbs Up for a Disney vacation where me and hubby could spend time acting like kids without the kids.  

UPDATE: Feb. 10
I realized after I posted this originally that it was lame of me not to take any pictures at all of the interior of my bag, so as I was unpacking it just now (a whole 5 days after we got back) I snapped some quick shots with my phone.


I packed our park maps in the handy front pocket so we could whip them out on the plane and look over our plan of attack.



Here's the guts of my bag.  I ended up using a grey french script fabric and a grey polka dot because I didn't have enough of either the teal or zebra left.  It looks just fine, I just wasn't planning on such a hodge podge of fabrics.

I remembered to add the long zipper in mine for the laptop pocket that I neglected to add on my husband's bag.


I was actually a little perturbed with myself for not having interior pictures to show, so now I can let that go (cue "Frozen" song) and move on to more sewing and blogging!





Building a Better Wardrobe Giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment