"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Christmas Tour

Disclaimer: this tour is much better looking in photos than it would be in real life.  I have conveniently moved things out of the way or cropped things out of the photo so as to give the best impression and the prettiest picture.  Honesty is the best policy.

Let's begin in the dining room.  We have a simple brass chandelier in the new house and I thought it would be fun to dress it up for Christmas.  I used the garland that was on our tree last year and some snowflake ornaments to give it some holiday cheer.

























That's a little wreath-like thing on the china cabinet drawer pulls that is actually meant to go at the base of a pillar candle.  Almost all of my decorations are hand-me-downs from my mom and she had a ton of these.





































Now on to the main event!  The formal living room is the first room you walk into from the front door and it has the huge windows that face the street so it needed the most attention. This is how I have adorned my Grandma's Acrosonic upright.  It was the piano my mom learned on and I often played on it when we went to se my grandparents for Christmas.  The little nest for my bluebird is another candle wreath.
















Here is the other end of the piano.  My Grandma had some crafter in her as well.  She made that lovely tree from what is now vintage costume jewelry and beads.  She made them as gifts.  I have one.  My mom and dad have one and I'm sure there are other families special to my grandma that also received one.



Here's what my one-year-old was doing while I photographed.  There were toys and books in this cube
and she was grunting and standing on her tippy toes to try and reach every last one and take it out.


Here's a close up of the beaded tree. Nice, right?







































Here's the left side of my mantle.  I already posted a picture of my mantle a few posts back.  It's changed a tad, so I thought I'd just show the changes.  I moved the framed Phillipians free printable off and gave the NOEL art a place to shine.  I moved one of our vintage cameras down to add a little interest to the "set" for our family photo and just left it because I liked it.






































This is the built-in to the left of the mantle.  That kneeling Santa also came from my parent's.

And to the right of the fireplace.  More orange poinsettas, a little Christmas box and a banner.  ho hum.

Now to the tree.  Hubby picks it every year.  This year we got new lights, and the mesh ribbon that was really last year's phenomenon, but I like it and that's what counts. (it also counts that it was only $5)


Sorry about the camera shake.  My camera is apparently a light hog.  It looked plenty bright in there to me.  Oh well.






































the blurry tree skirt came from Target last year.


I was trying for simple and elegant.  I only used red and green balls and whatever personal ornaments we have (gifts and such).

Are you done Mom?

I suppose so, for now.  :)



S

No comments:

Post a Comment