"Why in the world did you pick this name for your blog?" ...so glad you asked...

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Business (Ad)Venture

Yowzers. I'm kinda making myself nervous.
I'm thinking about starting a little adventure; trying to flip Craigslist, Goodwill and garage sale furniture finds for a few extra bucks. I've gotten such a great response from my simple chair makeover and I keep wanting to try the shabby chic style I see in so many other blogs... Since my own home will not be cottage style, my only chance right now to use Heirloom White, Vintage Glaze and distress the edges of anything with sandpaper is to flip a few pieces, you know?
I've already gotten a coffee table and a chair to start with. They were $10 each. Not the best bargains ever, but I can't seem to find those $2 deals that everyone else discovers. Maybe I'll hit the thrifty jackpot someday.
So I started thinking about names for my "company." It will sound better when I list things on Craigslist to have a company name. The first thing that popped into my head is what I like best so far.

                                   Ready?

                                                        "Not Too Shabby"

Isn't that incredibly witty? Isn't it the cutest thing you've ever heard?  Just don't Google it because you'll find 20 other consignment shops and furniture refurbishing businesses that are already using that name.
Lame.

So then I started thinking of something I could do to set myself apart. I thought about having some sort of theme (besides the "I repaint everything white" theme), something that would unite all the pieces I paint. I'm thinking along the lines of a design of some kind, like maybe a lotus blossom. But a lotus blossom isn't very shabby chic. I don't know. It can't be a bird or a butterfly or a cricket. Too used. Whatever it is, I think it might help me find a more unique title for my "shop."

And as a side note. I officially HATE Valspar spray paint. I used Krylon on my first chair makeover and it was easy peasy. I picked up a couple cans of Valspar for the coffee table.... baaaaaad choice. The nozzle is so hard to work. The coverage is AWFUL. It spattered everywhere as it came out. It is NOT working for me and I am taking back the second can and getting my money back.

Hopefully, I will be showing you the finished first product in the next couple days! Fingers crossed someone will want to put it in their house.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment