Hello all! I don't know how many of you are joining in, but even if there are only a couple of us, I'm enjoying the process. :)
Speaking of the process, it was quite a process for me to even get to where I could start sewing. I'll share, just in case any of you think that my ideas are so awesome that you must copy. This is probably the first time I've been really original and not just copied someone else. I'm usually just searching for neat things to copy. haha!
Ok, down to business. I decided to throw caution to the wind and just butcher my pattern pieces. Of course, the nice thing is that you can always print them out again, so I had a safety net.
I decided I did not want a pleat or a gather, so I cut off the strip that adds extra width for the pleat. (hint: I actually used this strip as a pattern piece to cut my bias strips to sew together for bias tape. It just happens to be the perfect width for my bias tape maker.)
I cut a gentle curve to separate the top portion of the bodice and I cut straight across the lower section of the back to make a pattern piece that will become a ruffle.
If you are going to do this, be SURE to add seam allowances. (I forgot on one piece... as you'll see later)
Next task after cutting all of these pieces from my fabric: make bias tape. I used to hate the very idea of this. It is tedious. There's no getting around that. But I have really enjoyed the look of my handmade tape every time I've used it. There's something to be said for uniqueness.
You aren't going to find this in a package!
I'll be back on the 19th with some tips for darts!